Friday, June 21, 2019

Belorado - Burgos

22.04.19


Over breakfast it was decided that we would take the bus today - skipping two stages ahead to Burgos. Yes the bus. Sometimes on the Camino you need to put your health in front of your "expectations" of how things are "supposed" to be done. Did I feel guilty about it?
Very much so. But it was the best option to avoid further damage to my knee.

I needed to rest it - heal it.

The street leading to the bus stop had many of these hand and footprints.

When we arrived in Burgos, Carolin and I felt pretty sick from the bus journey. It was still early and we had some time to kill before we could get into an albergue.
We had "second breakfast" with a familiar face - Mike. Mike had been with us in Los Arcos (where his phone was stolen).


We wondered around the city for a while. Admiring the buildings and taking pictures before getting to our albergue.

This albergue. I shall never forget it.

When we handed our passports to the guy there he turned to his co-worker and commented on how we were "lazy" and "oh they took a bus". This made me furious. What gave him the right!?
To make things worse he gave all three of us top bunks as "punishment" for skipping ahead.
This was agony with my knee, the one, you know, I was supposed to be resting.


But Burgos also brought happy moments. We had beds. 
I had an internal struggle. On one hand I was angry at the fact that I was forced onto a top bunk. On the other, I was incredibly grateful for having a place to sleep. 
Be thankful for what you have - each day is a gift.


Florian was here! We hadn't seen him in a long time. Pizza for dinner with good company - Florian and his friend joined us, making Malcolm the only "Non-German" once again.
We ended the evening drinking a couple of beers with Flo - couldn't have asked for anything better.

Florian, myself and Carolin





















No comments:

Post a Comment