Sunday, June 23, 2019

Burgos - Hornillos

23.04.19



When we left Burgos this morning it was raining - just a bit. Getting out of Burgos was a long and boring walk through the outskirts of the city. When we finally did get out the weather got worse. Rain started pouring from the sky accompanied by an icy wind. 

This morning we had to say goodbye to Florian - we'd never see him again. 

We had barely walked 6km before stopping underneath a bridge to seek shelter when Carolin suddenly said she was feeling dizzy - about to collapse. I put my backpack down instantly and took hers off for her. She leaned against a railing (crash barrier) breathing heavily.

What are we going to do? We still have 16km to go before we reach today's destination!

My knee was slowly getting better (at least that's what ibuprofen led me to believe) but still weak . Malcolm's leg was causing issues as well.
Here it was. I brought Carolin here - now she was struggling to stand. I felt so guilty seeing her struggle. 

I put my backpack back on - and hers. She protested but I insisted (I couldn't let her carry it - she was too weak!). Putting on a brave face I started walking. The weight of two backpacks was too much for my body to bear. I closed my eyes and prayed - "Lord give me the strength I need!".

Luke 1:37  "For nothing is impossible with God"

We passed a little church where they took a life Facebook video of us - sorry about the quality.

My prayer must have been answered  - I carried Carolin's backpack all the way to Hornillos (16km) in the pouring rain and freezing wind.

We had no idea where we would stay, so, when a man asked us if we were looking for beds just after walking into the village we gladly accepted. It was a private albergue with four to a room. As fate (and the Camino) would have it, our friend Lillian was already there - in the same room as us. 


We enjoyed some pot noodles, crisps and the sofas before retiring. A warm shower, a comfy blanket and a quiet room. I couldn't have asked for more!









No comments:

Post a Comment