Friday, June 14, 2019

Navarrete - Cirueña

19.04.19


You'd think we'd be used to snoring by now - you'd be wrong. Most of us had a very broken night's sleep due to a Spaniard who's snoring could (and probably did) wake the dead. Needless to say he wasn't in my "Good books". Especially after he, believe it or not, shushed us in the morning while we were getting ready. Excuse you? 

*breathe Ellena. Just breathe*

Once again we had a rainy start to the day. To be honest I'd take rain over heat any day (even if we look like Hobbits in our ponchos).



Yes, it was another difficult morning. Mornings would be the most painful part of the day. 

After about 5km we stopped at a café. We looked like a pathetic bunch. I was in tears. 
Nothing a hot chocolate and good company can't fix right? Right.

As I was sitting there, questioning every decision I've ever made in my life, Tony walked in. I couldn't believe it! I thought he was way ahead of us! I felt better instantly. 

He had a rough day the day before. I invited him to sit with us and we talked for a while. 




We walked together for most of the day. We were heading for Azofra in the hope of finding empty beds. No, we hadn't struggled finding one yet. But it was Easter weekend - everything was full.




It was an empty feeling. Being turned away from an albergue. A shelter pilgrims rely on. And why did we get turned away? A group of Spanish scouts had booked everything. This I will never be able to comprehend. 

The next village was 10 km away - too far to walk after what we had done that day already.
What to do? We had no choice but to (I'm not ashamed to say it) take a taxi. Man, cars are a great thing. We were there in no time at all.

It was an interesting little place. The host's private house. It was very "hippy" with his own paintings decorating the walls of every room. The host had crazy curls and a very strict aura about him.

I didn't feel very comfortable here - but I had a bed. Which is more than a lot of ours friends did.

Carolin and I were in a room with another lady. Malcolm and Tony shared a room with a Scotsman - Fred.

All of us sat at one big table for our evening meal (which was delicious) and Fred sang for us. He made us sing "Purple Heather". It was a great atmosphere.

Tony and I enjoying a well deserved rest.

After dinner I sat in Malcolm and Tony's room (it was barely 21:20) talking about our plans for the next day.

Remember how I said the host was strict? Yes well. He came into the room, shushed us, pointed at me and motioned me to go to bed. And me? I did so hastily. I was scared of him! It felt like I'd just been told off by a teacher….we're paying guests buddy! Off to bed it was - looking forward to a quiet night.


A pup that was in front of the albergue instantly stole my heart.





















No comments:

Post a Comment