Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Pamplona - Puente la Reina

14.04.19

Getting up this morning sucked! Excuse my choice in words.
We had planned to "sleep in" till 7am but were awoken by (very inconsiderate) fellow pilgrims at 5am! It was 7:45 by the time we were both ready to go (the fact that there were only 2 toilets and showers played a big part in this).

My left leg and shoulder had become excruciatingly painful. So much so that I couldn't move my arm without causing myself absolute agony and felt like crying with every step. It took us forever to get out of Pamplona to start our climb of the day - the Alto del Perdón. 

It was a beautiful climb. Not difficult at all really. I was very excited to see the statues!
An australian couple asked us to take a picture of them - we did. In return they took one of the two of us, but it is too awful to post anywhere on the internet.



The decline from the mountain was treacherous. It consisted of loose rocks (described by a lot of pilgrims as "ankle breakers") all the way down. There were a couple of times I almost twisted my ankle. This is where my hiking stick became my most valuable possession!



Today we met Tony (he turned out to be one of our biggest blessings on this trip). He offered to buy Carolin and myself an orange juice from a stand run by a couple of local boys. They couldn't have been older than 14. We accepted his offer with great gratitude. We were in desperate need of refreshments.

Tony joined us for the last 2km to Puente la Reina (he planned to walk further), and turned out to be great company. Very likeable and funny.

Once we arrived at our albergue (with its very own beer garden mind you) Tony offered to buy us a beer. Then proceeded to call me cheeky for (perhaps a little too eagerly) accepting his offer once again. You can't offer to buy me a beer and expect me to say no!

No sooner had we sat down, a familiar, tall pilgrim stumbled into the beer garden. I must admit I couldn't quite place where I had met him before until he asked for a bed. In his very distinctive (quiet and adorable) voice. I asked him for his name - Malcolm. He joined us after I offered to buy him a beer (since Tony had just bought me one I thought it was the only right thing to do).

Tony kept walking. Malcolm however joined Carolin and me for an "all you can eat" buffet that night. We ate and talked and laughed. It was a great evening. So much in fact that Malcolm and I exchanged phone numbers so we'd be able to stay in touch. I wouldn't mind spending more time talking with him - not in the slightest.















No comments:

Post a Comment