Saturday, June 8, 2019

Estella - Los Arcos

16.04.19

We had a great evening last night! Good food (though not enough) and good wine (more than enough).

As we were leaving we ran into Malcolm. That's what I call good timing! I had wondered were he'd disappeared to. We headed off together, bound for the highlight of today - the fountain of wine. You heard (well technically you read it) me. Free wine for breakfast!


Here each pilgrim is allowed to fill their shell with some Vino Tinto
As we walked we reached a little "bar" in the middle of nowhere and decided to stop for a quick break. And who do we find sitting there? The one and only Tony!

He started telling me how I'm "famous/legendary" on the Camino. People were talking about the fact that I work with metal. Apparently that's all it took for people to take notice of me...not what I had intended!

(just for context - I use a plasma laser to cut art into metal!)

I like Tony a lot. There's something special about him. A gentle giant with a heart of gold.
He left a couple of minutes before we did - he was much faster than us!

I was in a lot of pain by this point and decided to (for the first time on the Camino) put my earphones on and listen to music while walking (me putting music on would become a sign to my companions that I was having a really bad day).

It didn't take very long for me to leave Malcolm and Carolin behind me. I felt guilty for doing so but sometimes, you just have to walk on your own.

 The road was an endless one. Bring me that horizon!


When I got to Los Arcos (a pretty small place) I went to the albergue Carolin and I had discussed heading to. "Amigos del Camino de Santiago". I managed to "reserve" a couple of beds and soon after, Malcolm and Carolin joined me. Karen and Amber where also here. A lot of familiar faces once more.

Malcolm, Carolin and myself got some pizza slices and sat down on the grass just outside our "home for the day" and enjoyed the sunshine. Here we met Jerome from France. He has a smile that just lights up the room. I asked him for this phone number since he had taken a picture of me that morning at the wine fountain.

(here's the picture)

Amber cooked for a lot of us tonight. It was amazing!


There were only two plug sockets (in the middle of the room) and I trusted my gut instinct not charging my phone that night. I hadn't had this feeling before. A feeling of suspicion. Unease. There was no need to have it now...I knew most of these people!

I would learned to trust my gut instinct...


















No comments:

Post a Comment